Are you looking to boost your engagment on social media?
Your social media channels are a valuable asset to your small business. They provide a way to connect with potential and current customers, and can help you build brand awareness.
But if your social media accounts aren’t engaging and you’re not getting engagement, you’re missing out on a big opportunity.
In this post, I’ll share some tips for boosting your social media engagement.
What I’ll cover:
- Why does engagement matter?
- What counts as engagement?
- How to calculate your engagement?
- How to boost engagement on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Questions to ask in your captions to boost engagement on posts
Keep reading to learn more!
Why does engagement matter?
With engagement you will:
- 💖Get more exposure for your post because social media algorithms will see that your post is valuable and show it to more people in the feed. (N.B. If your users switch to the “Favourites” view in the future, then getting good engagement now will hopefully encourage them to add you to other inner Favourites club.
- 💖Better engagement, means making better connections with potential customers.
- 💖 Better engagement will help you build a community and create brand advocates.
What counts as engagement?
How to calculate your engagement?
There are lots of ways to calculate your engagement but the most common is to use:
Engagement Rate = Likes + Comments + Shares / Total Followers x 100.
Using Meta Insights, I’ve run a report of Instagram Posts for the last 28 days. Here I can see my reach, likes and reactions, comments and shares.
Some posts the engagement rate was low at 1% but for others, it gets up to 4.4%.
You could also use your (likes + comments + saved) / divided by impressions. Impressions are the number of people who saw your posts. This will tell you, out of the people who saw it, how many actually engaged with your content.
Engagement rate = (Likes + Comments + Saved ) / Impressions x 100
To see your impressions you can just go to your individual post insights.
For a full breakdown of the different ways to calculate engagement check out this comprehensive guide from Hootsuite.
Lots of social media management tools do this analysis for you which is handy to keep track of your performance.
How to boost engagement on Instagram
- Use interesting and eye-catching visuals.
- Ask questions in your posts.
- Have Call to Actions in the captions.
- Respond to all comments.
- Keep the conversation going in the comments.
- Try creating shareable posts – like quotes and memes.
- Create saveable posts (Saves also count as a form of engagement).
- Create valuable Carousel posts that will be saved.
- Go live with other users.
- Collaborate on posts.
- Use hashtags that your customers are using, following and searching for.
- Try giveaways and contents.
- Use engagement stickers on your Instagram Stories
How to boost engagement on Facebook
- Be active in relevant Facebook groups.
- Use Facebook Stories to stay top of mind.
- Ask questions in your captions.
- Vary your content and try “text” only questions
- Go Live on Facebook
- Add your facebook page to your email signature
How to boost engagement on Twitter
- Join community hashtags.
- Participate in Twitter hours to boost your visibility and join in conversations that may spark relationships.
- Respond to new followers
- Comment regularly on posts from your ideal customer
- Retweet with meaningful comments
- Try text only tweets
- Add CTA buttons to your page
- Be consistent
- Check you are posting at the right time of day
- Use more video
Questions to ask in your captions to boost engagement on posts
What’s the EASIEST WAY to get people to ENGAGE ?🤔
Ask a question. It’s one of the simplest ways to boost engagement on social media.
People won’t comment if you don’t ask them something.
I see so many captions that just say…..I made this. Or this is for sale.
The end. Oh 😭
I usually tap the heart and move on. But if you ask me a question – then I immediately want to respond.
Here are a few questions you could try in your captions:
- Leave me a 💖 (or any other relevant emoji) if you agree
- Does this sound like you?
- Can you relate?
- Share your story
- Did I miss anything?
- What would you add?
- How do you feel about this?
- Why not save this for later?
- Would you try this?
- Which tip was your favourite?
- What’s your favourite tip?
- What are you most thankful for today?
- Agree or disagree?
- What’s your advice?
- Tap the link in bio to continue learning. 📚
By using these tactics, you can boost engagement on social media that engages customers and drives sales.
What have you found to be the most effective way to drive sales through social media?
Let me know in the comments!